Shop with Confidence
1 year factory warranty
5 years on select products
Free shipping for
all U.S. orders
Got a question before you order?
Call us at 888-316-1462
The MD-1 is one of the only dedicated, reusable children’s gas mask available on the market today.
It’s engineered to meet the same strict standards as our adult masks, with a lighter weight, more compact size, and detachable hose for reduced weight and improved comfort. It uses the same NATO standard 40 mm filters as all other MIRA Safety gas masks and is also compatible with our Powered Air-Purifying Respirator (see below).
The MD-1 Children’s Gas Mask is available in two sizes:
Medium: Children 2 to 6 years old
Large: Kids 6 to 12 years old
Designed to Protect Children Against:
- Poisonous substances
- Biological aerosols
- Radioactive dust
- Iodine radionuclides and their organic compounds
- Aerosols (dust, fog, fumes)
- Manufactured in 2021 with a 10-year shelf life
- Articulating mesh 5-point head harness for added comfort
- Made from durable and chemical-resistant natural rubber
- Designed with a panoramic polycarbonate visor (>70% field of vision) for added situational awareness
- Comes with an oro-nasal inner mask to prevent fogging
- Can be used in temperatures ranging from –30 to 50°C
- Uses standard 40 mm NATO threaded filter cartridges
- Comes with a 40 mm tube that can be used to reduce the weight on a child's face, allowing the filter to be carried in a pouch
- Weighs in at just over 1 lb. with hose attached
- Available in two sizes for children of different ages
- Made in Serbia
Protection for those that need it most
Nothing is more important than the health and welfare of our children. Yet, there has been no protection available for them in the event of a fire, major natural disaster, nuclear event, or terrorist attack … until now.
Our MD-1 Children’s Gas Mask is one of the only reusable CBRN full-face respirator designed with the special needs of children in mind.
Unlike expensive, single-use alternatives, the MD-1 uses the same 40 mm filters as most adult masks mask, allowing you to rely on a single supply of canisters (like our cutting-edge technology MIRA canister filters that feature an extended 20-year shelf life) to maximize the odds of survival in the event of a disaster. It’s also compatible with accessories like our Powered Air-Purifying Respirator (PAPR).
Originally designed as a child respirator to meet strict protective standards for the government of Yugoslavia, we’ve adapted and improved on this rugged design to bring it into the twenty-first century, with an enhanced head harness, updated materials, and compatibility with 40 mm NATO threaded filters.
Proper respiratory protection is especially vital for young children, as they are still growing. They are far more susceptible to airborne contaminants and respiratory damage, which could cause a lifetime of adverse health effects. This is especially true of radioactive contaminants, which can dangerously increase the risk of cancer and other life-threatening diseases.
Because of its smaller size, this children’s gas mask weighs far less than an adult mask, with optimized airflow for easier breathing and reduced fatigue. Using the filter hose attachment (included), it weighs approximately 18 ounces.
- Emergency preparedness
- Natural disasters
- Technology-related accidents accompanied by hazardous substance emissions
(1) MD-1 Childrens Gas Mask
(1) 40 mm NATO threaded extension hose
Weight: 500g maximum (without bag or filter)
Field of View: >70%
Material of Facepiece: Natural Rubber
Facepiece Color: Navy Blue
Material of Visor: Polycarbonate
Filter Connection Thread: EN 148-1 Standard 40 mm x 1/7”
Exhalation Resistance at 30l/min Airflow: 90 Pa
The protection time for S-mustard is a minimum of 180 minutes.
- Density of contamination: 17 ± 1 mg S-mustard / 10 cm2
- Breakthrough density of contamination: 5 µg S-mustard / 1 cm2
- Test tube thickness: 2.5 mm
- Test temperature: 36 ± 1°C
Standard MD-1 Children’s Gas Masks must be stored in a dark, cool, dust-free environment that is ventilated regularly and free from sudden temperature changes. Temperatures may vary between 5°C and 25°C with relative humidity up to 60%. The stored products should not be exposed to radiant heat or sunshine. Fuels, solvents, lubricants, and other inflammable substances must not be stored with the masks.
Do not store with or near any electrical machines or appliances that produce electric sparks or discharges during operation (ozone creation).
Avoid deformation of the rubber parts of the facepiece and internal mask when storing the masks. Inspect gas masks regularly to ensure they effectively seal to the user's face, as needed.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to breathing resistance on all negative pressure gas masks, a “balloon” test is recommended to ensure that a mask can be safely used during an emergency. A standard negative-pressure gas mask should only be used by children that can blow up a balloon with their own lung power.
Even if your child passes the balloon test, we highly recommend using a Powered Air-Purifying Respirator (PAPR) with the MD-1 Children’s Gas Mask to reduce fatigue. PAPRs use a powered fan unit to improve airflow and create positive pressure for added protection from airborne contaminants. MIRA Safety’s PAPR unit is flexible and can be used with any of our 40 mm NATO standard gas masks.
Please note that gas mask filters and accessories are sold separately.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERSAsk a Question
Is this mask safe for children to use?
Please consider the following when determining if this product is safe for children:
(1) Your child's face must form a tight seal to the mask. If not, contaminants can get in and injure your child.
(2) Your child must have the lung capacity to breathe through the mask. It is crucial to try this on your child with a test filter to see if they can manage using a gas mask. If they show discomfort while using it, we would suggest seeking a powered air-purifying alternative. We will be doing a Kickstarter for a powered device soon, make sure to subscribe to our newsletter for updates.
(3) The small size will fit children as young as 1.5 years old, but that does not mean that a 1.5-year-old can effectively breathe through the mask. Once again, this goes back to lung capacity.
(4) Children can get claustrophobic while wearing a mask and try to remove it. This is another reason why it's vital to train with this mask and see how your children react in a safe environment under close observation.
(5) This mask is not a toy, and children must be closely monitored while wearing the mask. DO NOT leave your child alone with the mask, or allow them to use it outside of adult supervision.
(6) The legal guardian of the child takes all responsibility to get proper training on the use of this equipment. MIRA Safety and its affiliates do not take responsibility for any misuse of this product.
What filter do you recommend with this mask for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and what other precautions exactly need to be taken?
For COVID-19, we would suggest the ParticleMax P3 filter which is available through the search bar of our website. Other precautions include knowledge of decontamination, along with other pieces of personal protective equipment for head-to-toe protection. Along with that, we would suggest taking a course on the proper use of personal protective equipment.
Does the MD-1 children's gas mask include a filter?
Filters are each sold separately, however, you can purchase 1 discounted NBC-77 SOF filter (around $20 cheaper) for each children's gas mask that you purchase, there should be a drop-down menu just below the title of the product page. We also have a Survival Kit available that comes with a filter.
Would this mask provide adequate protection in the case of the coronavirus?
The MD-1 children's gas mask, coupled with a suitable filter, will protect the breathing passages and eyes from viral threats. Please keep in mind, there are other precautions that need to be taken for complete protection.
Does the NBC-77 SOF, VK-450, DOTPro 320, and ParticleMax P3 fit into the MD-1 Children's Mask?
Yes, they'll fit because all these filters are threaded in 40mm standard NATO configuration.
Does this gas mask use a 40mm standard NATO filter?
Yes, this gas mask uses standard round threads according to STANAG 4155 (EN 148- 1)- Rd 40x1/7". Otherwise known as 40mm standard NATO threads.
- customer support
Great service and high quality product
Can only recommend, very good all round
MIRA came through!!
I’m quite happy with my purchase. It was partially back ordered, but arrived and now the order is complete! Great products for an evolving world of threats! Don’t perish with the Cattle! Prepare!!
PPE for the Kiddos
Thankfully I haven’t had to use this equipment yet, but it’s a huge relief knowing that I have it if necessary. Mira Safety is the only company I know of creating PPE of this nature with the whole family in mind.
Looks great fits great
Haven’t used them yet
Still have not had to use it. They look great but hopefully we won’t be needing them. Thanks MIRA team for your awesome customer support